Monday, April 22, 2013

It's been two weeks since my last post and I felt like I really missed it. Honestly I didn't know blogging would be something I really would be into; remember I have an aversion to technology? Tee-hee!

I was thinking about the theme I would discuss this week and I decided that I would talk about some of my early experiences within the Belly Dance community. There's quite a few. If you read my last blog you'll know the name Amira Iriz. Through her I met a lot of awesome colorful people. Some people might assume that behind the scenes there's a lot of cattiness and sliminess behind the veil but I have been fortunate enough not to see too much of that. I won't say it doesn't happen but I will say its not rampant (if you are a belly dancer or musician and it IS rampant, I suggest you get out of that circle That's not how it's supposed to be). Behind the curtains in student shows, themed showcases, haflas, etc, you'll see belly dancers rehearsing and helping one another. At one show I danced with Amira Iriz at one of Layla Mary's shows in the famed Lafayette Bar and Grill (no one can compare to Dino and Lafayette, no one-punto) and Layla gave me some of her red glitter: "Oh honey, the lights are bright! Here you need some glitter on those lips!" More recently when I performed a show with La Gina and Veldrina at the Ren Faire I received wonderful hospitality and good makeup tips from "my cousin" Veldrina. She's really good with lashes! LOL! And I met them at a Belly Dancers for Charity event led by Leslie Howard. No cattiness, just wonderful women who love their art and represent it well. These wonderful women helped me and also showed support by coming to shows. I feel its important to come to student shows and halfas even if you can't perform in them, just to show support. You can also meet new people and catch up with dancers you haven't seen in a while.

Networking is very important in any business or group. It has been my experience that networking within the Belly Dance community is more old-school than the business world. LinkedIn not necessary! Remember way back when? When you could walk up to a store (in this case a restaurant) and ask if they were hiring (that's how I got a job outside my father's grocery store...might be giving away my age here)? I find that sometimes that's one way to get a gig, meeting up with belly dance colleagues is another great way. If you are a new dancer and wondering how to get started the first thing is to take classes and be proactive. Volunteer for the student shows! Get involved in the organizing of the show! The best way to get yourself out there is to GET YOURSELF OUT THERE. And if you mess up- so what? No one noticed and you can say you meant to do that. ;)

Just yesterday I attended Ranya Renee's show and I thought to myself how great it was to see familiar faces and meet new ones. Life comes full circle.

Till next week; I wish you peace, hugs and happy shimmies,

Nahla <3

No comments:

Post a Comment